Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:49:11 +0800
From:      blue <susan.lan@zyxel.com.tw>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: infinite loop in esp6_ctlinput()?

Hi,

According to the GDB backtrace, I think this is what I am talking about.

Besides, this would result in infinite loop just by looking at the
codes. However, the author seems knowing the problem, too. The comments
in esp6_ctlinput() point out:
          /*
         * Although pfctlinput2 will call esp6_ctlinput(), there is
         * no possibility of an infinite loop of function calls,
         * because we don't pass the inner IPv6 header.
          */

I am not sure what the description means. The behavior of
esp6_ctlinput() is the same in HEAD, too.

Best regards,

Yi-Wen

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, blue wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Since our device adopts the IPsec codes from BSD, our device will
>> have infinite loop after receiving ICMP packet too big message.
>> I am not sure whether BSD itself  will have the problem or not (maybe
>> needs further testing). In IPSEC, esp6_ctlinput() still calls
>> pfctlinput2(), which is the root cause of the infinite loop.
>

> you were talking about IPSEC vs. FAST_IPSEC so I guess you are on
> RELENG_6 or is that HEAD. Would be helpful to know where exactly
> (though I guess looking at the code I could find out).
>
> Is it the problem reported here[1] that you are describing?
>

> /bz
>

> [1]
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-August/076478.html
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Yi-Wen
>>
>> JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:

>>> From a quick look at the code, there's a slight difference between the
>>> IPSEC (netinet6/esp_input.c) and FAST_IPSEC (netipsec/ipsec_input.c)
>>> implementations.  I suspect the loop doesn't occur at least for the