Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:43:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, paul@originative.co.uk
Subject:   Re: New bootblocks

Thomas Valentino Crimi writes:
 > Excerpts from FreeBSD-Alpha: 15-Mar-99 New bootblocks by
 > paul@originative.co.uk
 > > halt code = 2
 > > kernel stack not valid halt
 > > PC = 184ec
 > >

 >   I had this same problem, too, making it worse was that I had played
 > around with my boot.conf and guess what, unload was halting (in the
 > older bootblocks, wasn't this recently fixed?)
 >
 >   One good replacement to fixit disks I found was that the emergecy
 > shell, while lacking ls (use echo *) did have ifconfig, ppp and
 > mount_nfs if you happen to have a machine nearby to stick an alpha dist
 > on for binaries.  The way I got my machine to boot doens't seem like
 > more than luck (replaced bootblocks and booted of an old kernel).  Just
 > wanted to share the fixit trick for all who may come to need it.

In addition to the bootblocks, there's also some breakage in revision
1.24 of kern/kern_lock.c which causes alphas to crash in strange
ways just after they print the copyright & before they size memory.

I've pointed this out to Julian, and he committed a fix last night.
Make sure that you have the latest revision of kern_lock.c.  If, for
whatever reason, you cannot update your sources the fix was:

diff -u -b -B -c -r1.24 kern_lock.c
*** kern_lock.c 1999/03/12 03:09:29     1.24
--- kern_lock.c 1999/03/15 00:43:37
***************
*** 215,221 ****
                 * lock itself ).
                 */
                if (lkp->lk_lockholder != pid) {
!                       if (p->p_flag & P_DEADLKTREAT) {
                                error = acquire(
                                            lkp,
                                            extflags,
--- 215,221 ----
                 * lock itself ).
                 */
                if (lkp->lk_lockholder != pid) {
!                       if (p && (p->p_flag & P_DEADLKTREAT)) {
                                error = acquire(
                                            lkp,
                                            extflags,

Cheers,