Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:45:44 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting connections w/ ftpd

> > > I've been recently getting flooded with connections via ftp, and
> > > I was wondering how to limit ftp connections per IP address to
> > > stop "connection floods" from a single host name. I can't find
> > > much documentation on the standard FreeBSD "ftpd" that explains
> > > how this would be done.
> >
> > ftpd doesn't know how many simultaneous connections are being
> > made, since each ftpd only handles one connection; inetd handles
> > the starting of multiple daemons.  Stock inetd does not have a
> > facility for concurrency limits.  You'll have to use /TCP
> > Wrappers/ or /ucspi-tcp/; they're both in ports.  I've used
> > /ucspi-tcp/ with good results.
>
> While ucspi-tcp is often my preferred solution, you're wrong about
> FreeBSD's inetd; it can do concurrency and time-based limits.  From
> the inetd man page:

You are, of course, correct.  That will teach me to write answers
early in the morning.  What I /meant/ was that stock inetd does not
"good" control of concurrency.  In particular, it causes what many
people, including myself, consider unnecessary interruptions in
popular services.  That was why I originally made the switch; I was
tired of my services hanging up for ten minutes at a time, for
example, when I imposed a limit.

I, too, dislike when people take their personal preferences and pass
them off as gospel truth.  My careless sentence about inetd above did
just that.  *Cringe*

Thanks,
Lucas