Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 01 11:56:49 GMT
From:      tkuehn@websurf.pcom.de (Torsten Kuehn)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        wilko@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.2 fails to install on AS200 4/166

Several efforts to install FreeBSD 4.2 on an AlphaStation200 4/166
(latest SRM 7.something) remained unsuccessful:
1.) Setting up a serial console was straightforward. Necessity using it is
mentioned in Wilko's comprehensive 'hardware.txt' compilation, as my
AS200 has a ZLXp-E1 card (Linux folks use TGA fb which switches to
STD VGA res, potentially leaving fixed freq. Monitor out of sync). Using
MGA MIL-I with OpenFW v3 shows no display at all (only PPC code?).
2.) Kernel boots successfully from CD #1, drive at SCSI ID 3. SCSI Disk
at ID 2 was intended as installation target (with BSD labelled Disks at
ID 0&1 with Tru64/ Linux on them). As soon as console selection is
performed, an error msg ('wrong disklabel' something) is displayed, and
kernel forces reboot. I considered 'cannot mount root' problem from JKH's
'trouble.txt', but system is already installed in that case, and his guide
doesn't seem to be alpha-specific (?).
3.) Only disconnecting Disks at ID 0&1 led me further in the install menu
(drive bay is tight; temporarily removed both internal disks and mounted
target disk at ID 0 internally). Writing disklabels, initializing & mounting
filesystems performs successfully. But, during package extraction, install
stalls, notably at different points of installation. While this sounds like a
SCSI related problem, I re-verified if cable-lengths (only internal drives)
termination etc. were good (they did). Also tried to fetch packages via
Network, but system hung as before. AS200 remained completely dead for
hours, CD Rom could be ejected (in case of local install - disc not locked
by mount?), and would only recover after hard reset.
Torsten