Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:00:20 +0300
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPSec VPNs: to gif or not to gif

Hello Jim,

JH> I will shortly be replacing a couple of proprietary VPN boxes
JH> with a FreeBSD solution. Section 10.10 of the Handbook has a
JH> detailed description of how to do this.

JH> However I remember a lot of discussion about a year ago about
JH> whether the gif interface was necessary to set up VPNs like
JH> this or whether it was just a convenience, for "getting the
JH> routing right". A number of people said that gif was not
JH> needed but I've never found a step-by-step description of how
JH> to set up a lan-to-lan VPN without using it.

I use gif interface and tunneling mode, but can see any advantage of
this, because i can not see packets that pass through gif interface.
I try different configuration of ip addresses to the interface, but
nothing change. This i maybe a error in the configuration but i see
encapsulated packets and packets that pass through IPSec tunnel on my
network card.

JH> Is the Handbook the current received wisdom on how to set this
JH> up, and is the use of the gif interface indeed necessary?

JH> I also remember that the discussions diverted into a problem
JH> with ipfw when gif was *not* used, but I haven't found any
JH> messages to indicate that it was resolved. I recall suggestions
JH> that a new interface esp0 be created so that ipfw could work
JH> correctly on both the innner and outer packets of an ESP tunnel.

JH> Was that issue ever resolved?

JH> jim hatfield

Best regards,