Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:42:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se (Tommy Hallgren)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM image

> > > In Windows95 everything looked fine. But in Linux(which I used back then)
> > > every filename was in lower case. :-(
> >
> > In Windows95, long file names are case sensitive on storage, case
> > insensitive on lookup.  I believe lowercasing them was an acessability
> > hack in the CDROM driver on Linux.
>
> They are lower case using FreeBSD too. :-(

FreeBSD doesn't, so far as I know, support Joliet, which is what would
be require to put out Windows 95 long file names.  I think it's only
putting out standard ISO9660 or "High Sierra" long names, which are
monocased.

Linux, on the other hand, is actually monocasing it.  So they are doing
the right thing to get the names, but the wrong thing once they have them.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.