Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 12:38:01 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-root /var/run files (was Re: Sendmail, smmsp, and pid file)

pjklist> Funny thing about that, I actually created a /var/run/named directory
pjklist> for just the purpose of running named in a 'sandbox', chowned the
pjklist> directory bind:bind, and because I forgot to set the pid file path in
pjklist> named.conf, I see that it seems to write named.pid (owned by
pjklist> bind:bind) into /var/run without a problem.

For named, the initial creation isn't the problem, it's the reloads and
restarts:

# ndc reload
Reload initiated.
# tail -2 /var/log/messages
May 27 12:36:35 horsey named[142]: couldn't create pid file '/var/run/named.pid'
May 27 12:36:35 horsey named[142]: Ready to answer queries.