Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:13:35 -0500
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
To:        Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>, "'Nadav Eiron'" <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        "'Nash, Alex'" <nash@mcs.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: catching a ping/ipfw/ipfilter

Nadav Eiron wrote:

> > For syslogging, you could enable IPFIREWALL and use the likes of
> >   ipfw add accept log icmp from any to ${my_ip} icmptypes 0,8

> Better than ipfw, you can use IPfilter (I think it's in the ports, and if
> not, you can use the standard version, it has instructions for compiling
> on FreeBSD, at least for 2.1.0). Unlike ipfw it knows about ICMP types so
> you can log/block just ICMP echos.

That's precisely what the *icmptypes* arg is for in the ipfw line above.

Haven't used ipfilter - though I noticed a lengthy thread a few weeks ago
about ipfilter vs. ipfw.  It turned into yet another holy war toward the end.

I know that ipfw is significantly improved in 2.1.5 over the 2.1.0 version,
including allowing rules applicable to selected ICMP packet types.  I use it
because I know how to get it to work for me, and am quite happy with the
results.