Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 19:19:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B network collisions

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Vadim Belman wrote:

> > Surprisingly, we found that Intel board produces a _huge_
> > number of network collisions, almost for every output
> > packet.
> > We have 3COM switches installed in our location.
> >
> > Did anyone experience the same or similar problem with
> > cards in question?
>
>   Yes, this will hapen if the card isn't configured with the same duplex
> mode as the switch port it is plugged in.  You might just need to do a
> "ifconfig fxp0 mediaopt full-duplex"
>
>   Also, some 3COM switches have some propietary flow options that are only
> supported by 3COM cards.

You may have just solved the same problem (well, actually worse than
the above) that I have been having.  I don't have the card connected
to a switch (or any switches on the network at all for that matter)
but I will force the card to do half-duplex and see what happens.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */