Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:25:22 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI support

> > We support ATAPI devices and has been for a long time (also CD burner=
s)...
> =

> I believe I forgot to do a group reply on my previous reply
> to S=F8ren.
> =

> OK, it seems a misunderstanding of the term ATAPI.
> The author of cdrecord, Joerg Schilling, told me - I will translate:
> =

> Citation:
> =

> "You havn't understood what ATAPI is!

Schilly has some funny ideas about what ATAPI is as well.

> ATAPI *is* SCSI over IDE transport. Thus a SCSI system has to have
> a hostadapter driver for the IDE bus.

There's no "has to" about it.  And this isn't entirely correct either; =

one needs to read the relevant SFF802x specifications, particularly the =

parts where they state their intention to deviate further from SCSI in =

the future.

> *All* OSs despite FreeBSD do that right. Under Linux unfortunately
> it isn't the default."

He's entitled to his opinion; don't mistake it for fact.

-- =

=2E.. every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his