Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 2014 20:57:10 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instant reboot with New Xorg

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 06:15:06AM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 07:41:28PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> >
> > FreeBSD laptop-kargl.apl.washington.edu 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r269385: Fri Aug  1 10:39:21 PDT 2014     root@laptop-kargl.apl.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MOBILE  i386
> >
> > panic: make_dev_credv: bad si_name (error=17, si_name=dri/card0)
>
> Errno 17 is EEXISTS, since it comes from the devfs node instantiation,
> I am almost sure that you have both drm and drm2 in your kernel. Most
> likely, drm is compiled in or loaded as module at boot time, while drm2
> is loaded by X server on initialization.

That very well could be the problem.  drm2 is not documented.

laptop-kargl:root[218] grep drm /sys/i386/conf/NOTES
device          drm             # DRM core module required by DRM drivers
device          i915drm         # Intel i830 through i915

ptop-kargl:root[219] grep drm /sys/i386/conf/MOBILE
device          drm             # DRM core module required by DRM drivers
device          i915drm         # Intel i830 through i915

So, yes, I have drm compiled into my kernel.  The core file shows

Reading symbols from /boot/kernel/drm2.ko.symbols...done.
Loaded symbols for /boot/kernel/drm2.ko.symbols

So, Xorg is causing something that is called drm2 to be loaded.

Unfortunately, drm2 is not documented.

laptop-kargl:root[225] apropos drm2
drm2: nothing appropriate

Of course, drm isn't documented in a manpage, but it is documented
in NOTES.

It will take 4 or so hours to rebuild world and kernel.

--
Steve