Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:32:09 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        kaleb@opengroup.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS, but no thread-safe functions

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> I'm looking at a 3.0-971225-SNAP machine, and <pthread.h> has
> _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS defined, but libc_r does not have any of
> the thread-safe functions, e.g. getpwnam_r, gethostbyname_r, strtok_r,
> etc.

The standard says that if _POSIX_THREADS is defined, then
_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS shall also be defined. [2.9.3]

And then, for each function, it says "Either the implementation
shall support the foobar() function as described above or the
foobar() function shall not be provided".

The standard doesn't prescribe how the feature test is supposed
to be done. 8-(

But we really should have these functions in libc. Generally, though,
this involves a complete re-write of each of the existing functions
in terms of the re-entrant versions.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137