Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:07:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   inetd still dying (was: cvs commit: src/sys/cam/scsi scsi_da.c src/sys/i386/i386 busdma_machdep.c vm_machdep.c src/sys/i386/ibcs2 imgact_coff.c src/sys/i386/include param.h src/sys/i386/isa isa.c wd.c src/sys/kern imgact_elf.c sys_pipe.c sysv_shm.c vfs_b

On Wednesday, 14 October 1998 at  7:13:56 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> David, I'm having the inetd type problem on a system I can't bring to
>>> current, it's using a kernel from back in August, but I was wondering if
>>> it might be worth my while to see if these changes might possibly
>>> backport that far, without breaking other things.  Could I get your
>>> non-binding guess on that, would it be worth my time to see if I could
>>> do that?
>>>
>>> It's the problem that seems to be caused by starvation.
>>
>>    It shouldn't be too difficult to port the changes to an August kernel. It
>> is possible that this commit might fix the problem, but I'm fairly skeptical.
>> It would probably be wise to wait and see if someone who is running up-to-date
>> -current and was having the inetd problem can do some testing
>> first.
>
> I've been having the problem, but only every couple of days.  It still
> existed yesterday.  I'll report if it happens again.

It happened again.  I put inetd into gdb, but I couldn't find a way to
resolve library addresses.  It works if I start a program, but
apparently not if I attach to it.  Can anybody give me some pointers
(like how to find the load address of a library)?  This is a real
-current but still using a.out binaries.

Greg