Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 20:59:35 -0800
From:      mcleary@slip.net (Mark Cleary)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp install and dialing

Folx,

I'm tryingto ftp install FBSD 2.1.6.  I got the boot disk going.  I got
through the h'ware configuration and Novice install just fine. In fact, it
goes perfectly until I get to specifying the IP addresses and Gateways and
my machine's IP address.  I am going to be dialing into my ISP and they
will dynamically assign me an address.  I have my ISP's server address.
What should I put in the 'host' , 'domain' and 'gateway' fields on the Host
Configuration page.  I'm not aware of any gateways.  Does my ISP qualify as
a gateway?  I think the connection will just go from freeBSD.org ->
slip.net -> the machine in front of me.

Do I need to enter ftp.freeBSD.org (or it's IP address) in any boxes? I
select it as the ftp site in the step before the host configuration page.

And once I'm dropped into the PPP shell.  I type 'term' and then I can't
pass my modem any AT commands. I can't even get back to the packet passing
menu. The modem is a USR sportster 14.4.  It is connected at DOS com2/
Linux /dev/cua1 and works fine under Linux.  I tried going through the
other com port selection, but that didn't work either. I know the cable is
good.  What might be the problem?  Is there a document explaining that
PPP/term shell you use to dial up an ISP and connect?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated more than you know.

Almost there,

Mark Cleary