Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:28:10 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Mark Ovens" <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        "Phil Regnauld" <regnauld@ftf.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

> > > "a little bit"? Have you any idea how many *hours* Diskeeper takes
> > > to defrag a 2.5GB NTFS partition after only a few weeks since the
> > > last defrag?
> >
> > 	Hmm. It's never been that bad for me. My 9Gb NTFS partitions
> >       defragment in less than an hour.
> >

> I guess it depends how full the partition is. My 2.5GB has >2GB of
> data on it, not a lot of elbow room for Diskeeper to work with.

	My recollection is that Microsoft recommends that you keep your NTFS
partitions less than half full to 'solve' this problem.

> > 	My AdvFS partitions on Digital UNIX machines took days to
> >       defragment. And they were often more fragmented when they
> >       finished than when they started.
>
> Just to illustrate how bad NTFS is, there are certain files DK
> won't touch (shelliconcache is one). Move them to another partition,
> delete the original, defrag, move the files back, run DK again,
> and guess what? the file(s) you just moved back are already
> fragmented. Hmm.

	I've never heard that before. I wonder how it manages to do that.

	I think the amount of contiguous space reserved for a file when it's
created is tunable. But making that too large just makes things worse.

	By the way, I just recently enabled softupdates on the FreeBSD machine that
I use the most heavily. The performance difference is astounding.

	DS