Date:      14 Jun 1996 02:52:32 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trivial netstart suggestion

In one of my setups, I want to arrange that all interface
addresses are assigned before named and other daemons are called.
Evidently, if I'm using interface ed0, /etc/start_if.ed0 will be
run before doing the ifconfig using the sysconfig parameters.

For what I want to do, this means putting all the ed0 interface
configuration in that file. No big deal; I can just leave the
ifconfig_ed0 blank and it'll do what I want.

However, it'll then report the interface twice in the bootup,
which is a trivial annoyance. To eliminate it, how about instead
of:

	ifconfig ${ifn} ${ifconfig_args}

putting this:

	if [ -z ${ifconfig_args} ]; then
		echo Missing sysconfig entry for ${ifn}.
	elif [ ${ifconfig_args} != NO ]; then
		ifconfig ${ifn} ${ifconfig_args}
	fi

That'll also get the boot script to complain if one of the
ifconfig_ values is missing.