Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:25:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Johnson <tam@hiddenrock.com>
To:        Shanon Fernald <sfernald@epicor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendation of FreeBSD Programming Book Requested

I find that the best way to go about learning programming is to find a
project and just start working on it.  You're obviously going to run into
problems (who doesn't?) but it's a lot easier to get help for a specific
problem than just asking "teach me how to program in unix."  I find that
Kernighan & Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" is an invaluable
reference asset, but beyond that, I tend to use online references (many of
which are quite good).  Additionally, forums like usenet and irc allow you
to put the knowledge of others at your fingertips.

Have fun.

Pete