Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 10:40:38 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using tar

|>  > I want to use tar to move a directory hierarchy, but I want to do it
|>  > without using a temp directory, and I don't know the syntax to make tar
|>  > create an archive to stdout, then read from stdout to extract the acrchive
|>  > elsewhere.  Anyone else know it?  I want to use it to transport something
|>  > from usr/local (not /usr/local, thank goodness) to $(PREFIX).
|>
|>  	cd <source_dir>
|>  	tar cf - | ( cd <dest_dir>; tar xvfBp - )

An arguably better way to copy an entire directory tree within a single
machine is:

	cd <source_dir>
	find . -depth -print | cpio -pdmv <dest_dir>

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG                         http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/