Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:27:56 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default gnome configuration

> >Last time I tried submitting anything it was dismissed
> without
> >even a test because D. Greenman didn't seem to want anyone
> else
> >touching his NE2000 driver. Thus the full duplex operation
> >memory size bug remains in place.
>
>    Huh? Whatever gave you that idea?
>
>I wrote you directly following discussions in the mailing lists
>regarding slow transmissions. The problem had turned out to be
>non-detection and non-support of NE2000 cards with full-duplex
>mode transceivers. I first sent a patch that prevented the rx
>buffer spilling into the tx buffer and kept seperate pointers
>for both, properly reflecting the effective half memory sizes. I
>later wrote with specifications I argued out of D-Link which
>clarified duplex card detection as well as information on better
>supporting JITI (adjustable buffer fill interrupt triggers)
>transfers.
>
>Last I looked no changes had been made to if_ed.c. I since moved
>to a 3c905 based card, so I dropped it.

   I've apparantly completely spaced it since I don't even remember seeing
those patches. I don't appear to have anything saved in my mailbox about it,
either. Did I reply with something that indicated that I saw them?? The last
thing I recall seeing which was NE2000 related were some patches from Jonathan
Bresler that added support for a Linksys PCMCIA card, to which I replied that
the detection test was weak and may false-identify non-Linksys cards. In any
case, I've been out of town a lot recently and have been too busy to deal
with a lot of things like this.
   I really don't think it is fair to me for you to make baseless accusations
of me 'dismissing' a submission due to some sort of pride/territory problem.
That simply isn't the way that I operate and I'm truely sorry that you've
gotten that impression.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org