Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 15:20:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Subject:   2.2.7 install: 3Com 3c509b not found?

I'm trying to install 2.2.7 on an old (3 yrs) Gateway Pentium 66 from
a WC CD-ROM via ftp from another FreeBSD machine.  I can't seem to get
the network card probed, so I never get access to the other machine.

I go through the visual configuration editor, specify the ep0 device
and boot up.  As far as I can tell, ep0 is never found (I can't get
the scroll-lock feature to work - all I get are blank screens when I
try to move back).  The only devices I'm shown for network
installation are PLIP and SLIP ones.

The machine works OK under W95; it uses the network card without any
problems.  Opening the machine up, the card says: 3Com EtherLink III,
3C509B-TPO.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?  Suggestions?

Thanks-

Russ Murphy

(I've CC'd myself since I'm not on questions right now. . .)