Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:51:01 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Add note to UPDATING (was: Re: inetd_enable

DougB> The more I think about this, the more I think it might need to be
DougB> yes in both places. Is there a way to configure new sendmail to
DougB> accept outgoing connections without needing daemons running? If so,
DougB> it might make more sense to have that be the default setup, and
DougB> leave the _enable off both places. If not, we should probably turn
DougB> it on both places, with just the outgoing mail stuff set up by
DougB> default.

If sendmail_enable=NO, then the next one is sendmail_submit_enable which,
by default, is YES.  That one starts a daemon that only listens on
localhost.  See /etc/mail/README for more information.