Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:44:40 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        bryan collins <bryan@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

bryan collins wrote:

> Seth Leigh said:
> > Intel Providence (PR440FX) mobo, one 64 MB DIMM
> > Two Pentium Pro 180/256 overclocked (solid as rocks) to 200 MHz
> > FreeBSD 3.0-031198-SNAP
> > Running two RC5 clients, each in its own xterm, each process averages
> > around 526 kKeys/sec sustained, for a combined key rate of around 1056
> > kKeys/sec.  If I don't run X Windows (or anything else for that matter) and
> > run them in two virtual terminals, I have seen both processes average 537
> > kKeys/sec.  This is not bad at all (my single-cpu Cyrix P166+ gets 309
> > kKeys/sec), BUT...
> >

> I have a dual PentiumII 350mhz on a SuperMicro P6DBS motherboard.
>
> I get 1.1million keys/sec with DES
> and 654k keys/sec with RC5
>
> Thats two becnhmarks at once

Interesting.

Micron W6-Li, (440FX "Natoma" chipset with integrated 2940UW & sound),
fitted with dual P6 166/512s overclocked to 233Mhz, running -current from
Jun 14th, 128Mb, 4Gb Seagate.

Benchmarks at 1M key/sec with DES, 652k keys/sec with RC5, whilst running
X, Netscrape, GIMP.

Not too shabby for a sub $1000 machine assembled from brand-new
components... (no, that figure doesn't include the #9 Imagine 128 with 8Mb
or the 20" monitor - but it includes everything else.. ;-)

But, as another writer pointed out, this only really proves how fast the machine

runs the RC5 client, nothing else....

In *real life*, the system does anywhere from 617k keys/sec to 644 k keys/sec
per CPU, depending upon load. It's up 24/7 until I do an "make installworld".
Then it starts all over again :=)

My personal experience with overclocking (4 machines, none running at
the rated speed, all completely stable for months and months, and all
significantly faster than stock) leads me to believe that there's nothing wrong
with it - so long as you  don't get silly, use thermal compound and efficient
heatsinks/fans etc.

After all, isn't ftp.cdrom.com, the biggest, busiest FTP server on the planet,
an overclocked P6 @ 233Mhz? Even with 3200 concurrent connections, that
machine doesn't seem to have much problem filling a  T1 when I connect...

Guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to
do.  Like someone else said - the PPro is hard to beat for price/performance
ratio right now.

Cheers,

AS