Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 09:46:45 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jean-Christophe Cazenave <zenaf@noos.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About patch files and porting

Jean-Christophe Cazenave <zenaf@noos.fr> types:
> --------------C407CCCB86990241D792942B

Please don't do this - just send plain text, not HTML and especially
not plain text and HTML. It also helps if you wrap text lines well
before you get to 80 columns.

> I'm trying to work a port. I need to write a patchfile. I tried sevaral possibilities
>
> diff (and and without option like -unR, especially -u) config.in.orig
>
> config.in and placed it in teh files directory. Each time I do patch -p0 < patch-ah
>
> (the name of the patch, it's OK). But as I try make patch. the system complains
>
> about reversed patches previously applied. It's true, other previous patches have been
>
> applied to the config.in file. What could I do ? In other terms, what is the good way
>
> to write patch files for a port ?

diff -uR works fine. Complaints about reverse-format are probably from
reversing the files on the command line. See the diff man page for
information about that.

	<mike