Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:08:33 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Problem with psm0

>I just tried booting a 2.2.8-RELEASE CD in the problem machine, and it
>didn't detect psm0 either, so this is a red herring.
>
>I then went looking for a hardware problem.  I thought I was onto
>something when I measured the +5V on-load voltage at the PS/2
>keyboard/mouse ports as only 4.71V: this motherboard seems to have a
>high-resistance fuse.  However, soldering a wire to bypass the fuse gave
>me a solid 5.01V but no change in the behaviour.

Wow, you didn't need to go that far...

[...]
>I assume you mean "options KBD_MAXWAIT=10" ?

Oops, you are absolutely right.

>I tried this, but it had no effect.  I also tried other values, including:
>
>options     KBD_MAXWAIT=10
>options     KBD_RESETDELAY=1000
>options     KBD_MAXRETRY=10
>
>but again no obvious effect (other than a noticeable delay at that point
>in the boot sequence).

[...]
>psm0: current command byte:0047
>kbdc: TEST_AUX_PORT status:0000
>kbdc: RESET_AUX return code:00fa

The mouse has accepted the reset command.  It should be sending
reset status and device ID soon.

>kbdc: RESET_AUX status:ffffffff

But, we don't see any data coming from the mouse.

As you said, this mouse is detected and working on another machine, we
must assume the mouse does send something, and somehow it's
disappeared....

>kbdc: DIAGNOSE status:0055
>kbdc: TEST_KBD_PORT status:0000
>psm0: failed to reset the aux device.
>psm0 not found

Would you try setting `flags 0x400' to the psm driver in the kernel
configuration file?  This flag will bypass mouse device reset.
Boot the system again with `boot -v' and see if the mouse is detected.

Kazu