Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:33:40 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Robert Crowe <bob@osomil.carlsbad.ipinc.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Robert Crowe <bob@boogie.ipinc.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, bob@carlsbad.ipinc.com
Subject:   Re: Problems with DPT/CAM and RAIDed drives under 3.0-CURRENT

>I can't reproduce it right now (machine is in use), but it seems like about
>20 or so seconds after the npx0 probe.  It could have been 60, but it didn't
>seem like it.

My RAID 5 volume worked fine.  I decided to try out a RAID 1 configuration
and sure enough, it failed as you described.  After several hours of
going through the DPT driver code trying to determine what was wrong
I stumbled upon the unexpected.  DPT RAID 1 volumes cannot handle multi-lun
probes.  Further, they won't tolerate requests for device serial numbers.
Why it is that the RAID 5 volumes are immune to this, I have no idea, but
I would not have expected this kind of behavior from products built by a
company claiming to be the world leader of SCSI RAID technology. <sigh>

I'll be checking in a DPT quirk entry shortly.

--
Justin