Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 13:05:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dbos@waterloo.net (David Bos)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Freebsd

> I have two questions about installing freeBSD on my standalone 486.
>
> What should the host name be ?

I vote for Polycythemis.  It's a bitch to type, and it's not eight
characters so the SCO WordPerfect license manager won't run, but
I think he was a truly underated Greek hero.

That, or "Calicratites", the name of the mummy from the original
movie.  I've been waiting forever to do an install of a machine
to run Oracle; I plan to call it "Thoth".  8-).

I have a machine named "Banzai" at home, both because "Buckaroo Banzai"
is the best movie of all time, because it was my first purchase of
an Intel box, and I thought I was jumping in too quickly, and because
I'm teaching myself Japanese and it means "1000 years" and I had
extremely optimistic expectations about uptime.

The machine I'm using as my terminal right now is called "Hecate",
mostly because I can boot it up under multiple OS's, one of which
is Linux and one of which is Windows95.  Witchcraft seemed to be
appropriate.

The machine actually sending the mail is called Phaeton.  It's the
vehicle for my SMP work.

The loaner PPC box I have is named "Pyramus", and I do my cross-work
for it on a small box named "Thisbe".  Frequently, "Pyramus dies for
the love of Thisbe" (you gotta love that Babylonian mythology).

If I had a slow 386SX box, I'd name it "Cybelle", after what men
who joined the cult had to do to themselves to have their membership
approved.

I once waited the install of a machine two days on a name choice.  It
was a Sun box and I wanted to name it something relevent to the sun,
like Helios (Apollo was taken by another computer company).  We finally
settled on '"Icarus" because that's close to Sun'.  8-) 8-) 8-).

Basically, you can name it anything you want to.  If you pick an 8
character name, you'll work around a known bug in the SCO emulation,
but it'd be just as easy to fix the bug, if you cared.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---