Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:15:28 -0800
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cvsup question re ports and 3.3R

I think I may have hosed my ports collection... but I'm not sure... I'm
running 3.3-Release (according to uname) and I ran cvsup with this command
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -L 2 /usr/sup/ports-supfile
with the following info in ports-supfile.

*default host=cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix umask=002
ports-all

Everything seemed to run fine and I didn't get any errors.  I'm looking in
particular to upgrade apache and php, but really just need to recompile
apache to user mod_usertracking.  Now when I go to
/usr/ports/www/apache13-php3 and type make fetch or even just make, I get
the following error message:
===>  apache+php-1.3.12+3.0.15 : Your system is too old to use this
bsd.port.mk. You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the instructions.

I went to the ports page and got a little confused.  I see the upgrade
packages, but does that upgrade FreeBSD or just the related files necessary
for using the newer versions of the ports.  Basically, I'm really new at
this and a little over my head and not wanting to destroy a production
machine.  From the description, it appears it will upgrade 3.3R to -stable
and it looks like there is only one file in the 3.3 or 3.4 to 3-stable
upgrade kit which is /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4    Since I'm a chicken right
now... I'd rather just use the older ports for now until I learn more.

My question is this:

Instead of doing the system upgrade on a live machine with the upgrade
package, should I wipe out the ports directory, restore them by mounting
one of my backup hard drives and then rerun cvsup changing
from	tag=.
to	tag=RELENG_3_3_0_RELEASE
or can I just rerun cvsup making the above change, sort of backdating the
ports.

Any help or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry