Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:37:22 -0500
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@plexuscom.com>
To:        jgrosch@sirius.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD beats SCO at its own game

> The common wisdom has approximately 75% to 85% of all existing code is
> written in COBOL. Most of it is 15 to 20 years old and in bad need of a
> rewrite.

This seems wrong.  Or atleast seems to need some qualification.

If `most of' 75% of 85% of all existing code is 15 to 20 years old,
then at most 62.5% of all exisiting code has been written in the
last 15 to 20 years.  Many many more people started writing code
since DOS/Windows/Mac started becoming generally available and even
the original IBM PC was introduced in 1980.  62.5% seems much too
low.  Heck, if you just add up the number of lines of code in
all the microsoft products..... :-)

BTW, I recall hearing similiar statistics 15+ years back!  This
seems more like an urban legend.  Does anyone have a reference to
any specific survey regarding number of lines of code written
in different languages and their growth rates?  Just curious.

-- bakul