Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:05:46 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Mike Squires <mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting Intel Pro100B to half duplex

>I knew there was something simple I was missing...
>
>(I tried "man fxp" but not "man 4 fxp".

Hmm, man fxp works for me.  Do you perhaps have MANSEC set to limit
your man searches?

>I have been getting many (more than .1%) input errors and about .01%
>output errors on a 100Mbit switch port; the Pro100B reports it as
>full duplex.  I have had similar problems with a 3C905A on an NT
>server where it chose full and the link was half duplex.

Can you tell what types of errors they are?  Or is this all you can
get?  (Have you checked the switch's error counters?)  Is the switch
port set to auto or locked to full?

>I suspect bad cabling, but will have to prove it before we can get the
>cabling rerun.  I am now going to replace the card and drop cable.

I recommend only replacing one item at a time.  Then when the problem
goes away you know which part was at fault.

>The major problem is that when I try to use samba (but not NFS or mars_nwe)
>the connection crashes; the smb.log file reports an unimplemented samba
>call, and the error rate (netstat -i) goes up, once to about 10%.  This
>occurs when I use "testnet.exe", an old Novell network test program,
>which writes out a single very large file as quickly as possible.

This is the symptom, not the problem.

-Mitch