Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 96 21:53:47 +0700
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <victor@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "talk" does not work. Please help.

I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0, no network, only uucp and user ppp
via a modem.

When a dial-up user logs in into my computer via a modem and I
wish to talk to him, "talk" would not run, it just says:

[Couldn't bind to control socket : Can't assign requested address (49)]

and exits.

If you have any ideas what the problem might be, I would be
very grateful.

BTW, as I do not have a permanent IP address, ppp negotiates it
every time when I dial out to my provider, I wrote in the
/etc/hosts file something like:

127.0.0.1       localhost
10.0.0.1        vas.tomsk.su vas

Is this correct or should I have written something different?
What is usually written there if there is no permanent IP
address?

What other configs should I look into for the solution of my
problem?

Thanks a lot.

---
Victor A. Sudakov                          E-mail: victor@vas.tomsk.su
Center of Information Technologies         FidoNet: 2:5005/49
Tomsk Region Education Department          Telephone: +7 3822 224916
Tomsk, Russian Federation                  Telefax:   +7 3822 225912