Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 00:49:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAE.nl>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        wjw@iaehv.nl, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a DPT controller, pros and cons

You ( Tom ) write:
=>
=>  On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
=>
=>  > The other issue:
=>  > 	I've done 3 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt?/bar' in parallel on the
=>
=>    What blocksize?

Just the dd-default. Would that matter in what I observe? I was just trying
to see if I understand this box. :-)

=>    Well, you are operating the DPT with only narrow drives at 5mhz, so that
=>  is going to hurt.  Also, the DPT controller is optimized for random
=>  access, not sequentional access.  If "dd" writing represents a typical
=>  function of your system, you should probably disable the write cache
=>  completely.

No, just trying to see if things work. It be used as:
	mail-server
	web-server
	news-server
	home-directories for +10.000 users

=>    You've got some real problems with your hardware.  You shouldn't see
=>  any such warnings.

:-{

--WjW
--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands