Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Hendrik Scholz <hscholz@raisdorf.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAE related crash

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Hendrik Scholz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've just installed 5.1-RELEASE (updated to -current) on a
> Dual Opteron 1.4 with 6GB memory installed (MSI K8D Master-F).
> Without 'options PAE' the system works fine (beside the 'missing' 2GB).

  Does PAE even work on non-Intel CPUs?  I thought it was Intel specific.

  The AMD recommended way of using 4+GB is to put the processor in 64bit
mode.  Can you try FreeBSD amd64 instead of FreeBSD i386?  PAE is rather a
crude kludge in comparison with 64bit native addressing, so if FreeBSD
amd64 works for you, it is definitely the better solution.

Tom