Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 20:27:18 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mike@NetworX.ie
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: no rpc.statd and rpc.lockd

Michael Ryan wrote in message ID
<ECS9607051954C@NetworX.ie>:
> If they don't exist, how is file locking performed?

It's not over NFS, as I believe that Sun Microsystems have (a) never
clearly published their lockd/statd specs and (b) never really got
them working properly themselves. I believe there is basic code to do
this in -current, but the lockd is a dummy which just accepts all lock
requests blindly and approves them, not doing any actual file locking
on the server itself. A full implimentation is being worked on, but
may be some time yet.

Gary