Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:04:34 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        speth@scruz.net (James G. Speth)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, speth@nic.scruz.net, matthew@nic.scruz.net
Subject:   Re: problem with 2.1.7-RELEASE #0

>I installed FreeBSD release 2.1.7 yesterday, and I've been dealing with some
>very strange errors since then.

Your account sounds very much like a termination problem.  Many changes
have been made to the driver since 2.1.0, one of them being to honor the
termination settings stored either in a serial eeprom attached to the
adapter or left over from a bios.  In the past, the termination was always
set regardless of cable configuration or user settings.  Could it be that
your SBC is not properly configured and/or is not setting the termination
properly?  To find out, boot with the -v flag and note all of the aic7xxx
driver messages.  You can also see if you BIOS includes SCSI-Select and
modify the setting there to match your configuration.  Let me know what
information you find.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations