Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:50:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Ken Hansen <khansen@njcc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 keeps crashing . . . please advise. (fwd)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Not so fast there, I built an Alpha system the other week and the CPU
> ran DARN hot, I asked the vendor and I casually mentioned that it should
> not be a problem because "The cover was off the whole time" - he said I
> should never run my system for any length of time with the cover off,
> because the air is not flowing, it is stagnant over the CPU.

This reminds me (kinda) of the people running a K6 at some horribly fast
speed (like 400Mhz).  They had some kinda liquid or freon cooling system.
I think I saw this from a link on Tom's Hardware..

> I suspect that even though you have a fan next to the CPU, the heat is
> not being pulled away from the processor by the PS fan as it would if
> the case were closed, you simply have the fan blowing air onto the CPU
> and hopefully "pushing" the hot air away.
>
> I would not point my finger at a heat issue right away, but I would not
> dismiss it so quickly either (BTW, after I closed the case the Alpha
> system ran fine for 72 hours straight, with the case open it started to
> fail after about 8 hours or so...

I ran my old 486 for quite a while w/ out the case since one of the
cooling fans died.  However, I had a nice 10 inch desk fan blowing on it
the whole time ;-)  Boy could that thing sure roast a few IDE hard drives.

- alex