Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 01:01:36 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommended SCSI harddrives

Hello all-

I asked earlier what some good SCSI cards were,to replace the one that my
new motherboard didn't like. I ended up getting the Adaptec 29110. Works
great. (unfortunately, the day before it arrived, I got my old card working
perfectly...)

Now, what are some good SCSI hard disks? This card is getting board (heh.
Sorry) with 2 CD-roms hooked up. I have looked at the Seagate Cheetah X15,
but at 15KRPM it would be too loud and it is too expensive for the amount of
space.
I have read about some Quantum drives from Storagereview.com, but I have
never used a Quantum drive of any kind, ever, and remember only bad memories
of fixing systems with those crappy Bigfoot drives.
How are Quantum's SCSI drives?

I was looking at IBM as well, but I have lost trust in them after their
75GXP drive, which is roughly as reliable as Windows 95. Are their SCSI
drives better?

Priorities for this drive would be, in this order:
Reliability
Price/size ratio
Speed

It will be used on a FreeBSD workstation (of course) and will be doing quite
a few buildworlds.

Any bad experiences/good experiences with recent drives would be very
helpful.

Charles Burns