Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:19:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, magus@magus.users.xmission.com
Subject:   Re: BSD v. Unix

On Monday, 10 July 2000 at  8:25:31 -0600, Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:
>> On Saturday,  8 July 2000 at  2:12:31 -0600, Anthony Chavez wrote:
>>> Fellow advocates:
>>>
>>> I don't remember where exactly, but I have seen FreeBSD referred to as
>>> the "last true Unix."  Is this a wholly accurate description?
>>
>> No.  I don't think it's even partially accurate for any reasonable
>> definition of "partially".  Recall that it shares no code with AT&T
>> UNIX up to and including the Seventh Edition.
>>
>>> Would it be correct to refer to *BSD in such a manner?
>>
>> No.  In fact, we don't want to refer to "*BSD" at all: it sounds
>> divisive.  BSD without the '*' looks a lot better.
>>
>> As to "the last true UNIX": that way Holy Wars lie.  I've most often
>> heard it applied to the Seventh Edition.
>>
>>> I don't remember where exactly, but I have seen FreeBSD referred to as
>>> the "last true Unix."  Is this a wholly accurate description?
>>
>> No.  I don't think it's even partially accurate for any reasonable
>> definition of "partially".  Recall that it shares no code with AT&T
>> UNIX up to and including the Seventh Edition.
>
>          Please don't take this personally or view this as critisism but I
> recently purchased your book, "The Complete FreeBSD", and what an excellent
> book it is!  8^)  After reading the preface, I was under the impression
> that FreeBSD is a raw UNIX system and has greater rights to call itself
> UNIX than OS's like Linux because it's not a UNIX clone.

Agreed.

> I will quote from the preface: "FreeBSD is a high-performance
> operating system derived from the Berkeley Software Distribution, or
> BSD, the version of UNIX developed at the University of California
> at Berkeley between 1975 and 1993.  FreeBSD is not a UNIX clone.
> Historically and technically, it has greater rights than UNIX System
> V to be called UNIX.   Legally, it may not be called UNIX, since UNIX
> is now a registered trade mark of The Open Group.
>      Can you expand on this?  Am I missing the mark on this?  Were you
> saying that FreeBSD can still be called UNIX but not the "last true
> UNIX"?

Well, there's a difference between saying "it has greater rights than
UNIX System V to be called UNIX" and saying "it's the last true UNIX".
In the context of my message that you quoted above, I was talking
about all UNIX releases, and the Seventh Edition is the (a) common
ancestor of just about all of them, including both System III/System V
and the BSDs since 3BSD.  FreeBSD is also no more of a descendent of
4BSD than BSD/OS, NetBSD or OpenBSD.  In general, though, I think
we've done this one to death.  It's not a very useful metric in the
first place.

Greg