Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:03:17 GMT
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        paulh@chariot.net.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        willwong@anime.ca
Subject:   Re: PPPoE on 3.4

Paul, are you trying this with Bigpond by any chance? ;-)

Something I didn't pick up for a few attempts and that isn't included in a
lot of people's examples is that with some ISPs you have to specify what
service you'd like to connect to.

On a ADSL network is a device called an Access Concentrator. This is the
device you're, firstly, setting up a PPPoE session with and, secondly,
authenticating to. As you can appreciate some ISPs offer more than one
service from their Access Concentrators so you need to specify which one it
is you need to connect to.

In my case, with Telstra Bigpond, I need to ask for the service bigpond. If,
for example, this was the case for you too you need to change this line in
ppp.conf...

  set device PPPoE:rl0:

to...

  set device PPPoE:rl0:bigpond

...which should get the connection up and running (other things being
correct, of course).

How do you find out if you need to specify a service? I can suggest two ways
to check. Firstly if your Windows software is still in some workable state
you can probably find the details in there by right clicking on your
connection icon, choosing properties and looking around.

Secondly while you're in FreeBSD trying to connect you can get tcpdump to
show you whats going on between you and the ISP. The way you do that is...
1. Start up another session in FreeBSD by pressing <ALT> + <F2> (at the
console) and logging in.
2. Issue this command: tcpdump -e -i rl0 not ip
your ppp session.
finished with tcpdump hit <CTRL> + <C> to stop it.

What you should see is your system send a PADI (PPPoE Active Discovery
Initiation) frame. Next you should see a PADO (PPPoE Active Discovery offer)
frame being sent back to you from the ISPs Access Concentrator. If the
Access Concentrator has a lot of services they'll be listed as Service-Name
's. Pick the one that's (hopefully) relevant to your connection/ISP/plan,
edit your ppp.conf and try again.

If this doesn't help you I hope it helps someone else. I'm having a hard
time with an ADSL connection at the moment myself.

Feel free to keep in touch with me directly if you'd like. I'd like to hear
about which ISP you're dealing with and what eventually get's it all going.

Good Luck
Aaron Hill