Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 13:07:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, inet-access@earth.com, portmaster-users@livingston.com
Subject:   Weird FreeBSD/routing/portmasterPPP problems..

The Problem:
------------
When dialing up my portmaster and establishing a PPP link, my FreeBSD
host does not realize the proper route to the portmaster assigned PPP
address.  ping's to the PPP host's IP return 'host is down'.

* This problem arose when I added a virtual IP to my machine..

Here is a snippet of my /etc/start_if.ed0 file:

ifconfig ed0 inet 206.85.32.32 netmask 0xfffffc00
# note my network is 206.85.32-35
ifconfig ed0 alias 206.85.32.33 netmask 0xffffffff
ifconfig ed0 alias 206.85.32.34 netmask 0xffffffff
[..this configuration works FINE!..]

The problem started happening as soon as I added this line:

ifconfig ed0 alias 206.85.34.1 netmask 0xffffffff

I can make the "broken" PPP link work if I manually fix the route tables.

Any ideas?  Thanks..  (please email any responses directly to me..)

--Steve (http://pr.erau.edu/~swaits)