Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 05:11:49 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

"Brian J. McGovern" wrote:

> I don't know if I agree. "Custom" is exactly what it says... You can build
> out the system with specifically the components you want. Now, perhaps I'm out

That proves "Custom" is not exactly what it says. You can do the same
thing with Novice. ALL installation modes give you the same granularity
of components. The difference is:

Novice -- automatically steps through all phases of installation, with
explanations at each step
Expert -- automatically steps through all phases of installation
Custom -- requires the user to select by hand the installation phases

All the Custom installation really gives you is:

* The ability to avoid phases you won't be needing
* The ability to shoot yourself in the foot

The last one can be useful in some rather rare cases.

> Now, I'll admit, that custom may be a bit daunting to people who are new to
> Operating Systems. But, even in the Windows enviornment,
> "Custom Installations" are usually documented as a route for those who are
> clue as to what they're doing, and "Standard" or "Quick" installs are for
> the others.

Exactly. That's not how FreeBSD installation options are set up. Which
is the whole point.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."