Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:09:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Patrick McAndrew <pfm@slack.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Baldwin <jobaldwi@mindspring.com>, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: AMD-specific kernel code (was: How long a wait?)

On Monday, 10 August 1998 at 23:33:52 -0400, Patrick McAndrew wrote:

> I missed the first part of this thread, is this patch for AMD K6
> processors (does it utilitze their RISC core (or whatever it is))?

It's a relatively small patch which enables write allocation.  This is
a modified way of handling pending writes when the cache line is not
in L1 cachec: instead of a normal write cycle, it performs a burst
read cycle of 32 bytes into L1 cache, and merges the write data into
the cache.  This wins when there are lots of local references, and
loses when there are not (because reading the cache line takes longer
than most writes).

> Where can i get info and the patch?

Info is in an AMD application note:
http://www.amd.com/K6/k6docs/pdf/21326d.pdf.

The patches are at ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/AMD-write-allocate-patch.

> How stable is it?

I've been running it for two days.  It just sets a processor register
according to the documentation, so I don't see much room for
instability.

The only question is, is it worth it?  I found about a 5% degradation
in performance when building a world.  Others have claimed 15%
improvement in web servers.  Given the nature of the fix (which has to
be enabled via the kernel option CPU_AMD_WT_ALLOC), there's no
conflict in that.  I'm thinking of finding a way to enable it on the
fly.  I'd be very interested to hear how other people fare with it.

Greg