Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:11:50 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/really_defaults/really_really_defaults

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> What's the functional difference between the former rc.conf and
> defaults/rc.conf? Why not
> /etc/defaults/really_defaults/really_really_defaults/rc.conf? (Rhetorical
> question)
>
> If we realllllly shouldn't change settings in defaults/rc.conf then just
> roll those variable assignments into /etc/rc which we are also warned not
> to play with. (This is where a developer should tell me I don't see the
> grand scheme.)

It makes it easier to see what the defaults are, imho. If I wanted to find
all the other defaults, I'd have to grep all the rc* files, find what
context it was used in, etc. Also, if a variable is used more than once,
especially in more than one file, changes made by FreeBSD developers to
the default setting need only be made once.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk