Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 07:19:12 -0700
From:      "Steve W. Heistand" <heistand@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: proxy service help

ok a followup email to make sure I got this correct.
(ie what I tried didnt work)

First off the game server is not a local host which may or may not matter,
but when I tried adding an alias line into my ppp.conf file nothing changed.
Does it matter where in the ppp.conf file (I placed it in the default section)
There is actually 3 connections my game makes, a udp on 6112 and 2 tcp
connections on 116 and 118.  I added in lines of:
alias port udp 206.254.73.254:6112 6112
alias port tcp 206.254.73.254:116 116
alias port tcp 206.254.73.254:118 118

oddly enough I also started running tcpdump while I started the game and
its the  tcp packets that seem to be getting lost.

thanks
steve

> This is probably already possible, you'll need to be able to identify
> the <insert your favourite game here> packets by port address.  So if
> you've got a Quake server on 10.0.0.2:5000 (internal) and a gateway on
> 10.0.0.1 (internal) and 1.2.3.4 (external) with natd/ppp -alias
> running, you'd have an entry in your ppp.conf saying
>
> alias port udp 10.0.0.2:5000 5000
>
> Having said that, I've never gotten around to looking at the traffic
> that quake sends around the place, so I'm not sure that it has an
> identifyable port number.
>
> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
>       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

| Steve Heistand                           Email: heistand@nas.nasa.gov   |
| Parallel/Vector System Consultant               Phone: (650) 604-1272   |
| MS 258-6, Moffett Field, CA, 94035-1000           Fax: (650) 604-4377   |
| Numerical Aerospace Simulation Facility                                 |
| "A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transformation." |