Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:13:23 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        kientzle@acm.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RC NG, ntp and routed

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 5:41 PM -0800 2002/12/11, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
> >  The point of the barrier scripts is to provide
> >  simple dependencies to other scripts.  In particular,
> >  NETWORKING should represent a fully-functional
> >  network, including any routing or multicast routing that is
> >  normally used on this network.  It does not, in itself, depend
> >  on any filesystems.  (It runs no programs itself, so why would it?)
>

>     Sure it does.  In order to do anything, you have to run programs --
> right?  And where do those programs come from -- a filesystem, right?
> And what if that filesystem is not local, but mounted via NFS?  So, you
> need a way to bootstrap the early parts of networking before mounting
> the later filesystems.

This I disagree with. Networking should bring the network up. If
something is necessary to bring the network up, it should be available
locally. Remote filesystems should come _after_ the network is up.

If a program needed to bring networking up is on a remote fs, then there
is a problem with the system project. If it so happens to work without a
fully functional network, good for it, but it's designer must shoulder
the burden of supporting it. The standard way of doing things should be
get the network up, and _then_ mounting the remote fs.

Daemons which _depend_ on network are not part of networking, of course.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs@newsguy.com
	dcs@freebsd.org
	capo@notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

A day without orange juice is like a day without orange juice.