Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:44:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Dmitry Koltsov <root@hostonfly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache/TCP stack issues

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Dmitry Koltsov wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have some issues with TCP stack  and/or Apache.
> Issue:
> I'm getting "Connection refused" error when trying to connect to Apache over Internet when packet loss is 1-2%. Not all connection attempts fail but about 3% of attempts.
> When I'm trying to connect over local network(from another machine and localhost) in the same time, all is ok.
> In order to get this statistics, I've made 20000 attempts from each place in the same time.
>
> I guess apache is ok because from local network and localhost it gives no errors.
>
> Is there solution?

What release of FreeBSD are you running?

From what you describe and the logs, it appears you're overloading the
server and causing the listen queue to overflow.  One piece of information
you're omitting is how quickly you're sending those 20000 connection
attempts.  If that's over 20000 seconds, I wouldn't expect any listen
queue overflows.  If it's over 1 second, I'd expect a lot of listen queue
overflows.

The listen queue overflows indicate to me that you're running a version of
FreeBSD that does not include Jonathan Lemon's syncache/syncookie
implementation.  This was added just shortly before 4.5-release, and
should help your situation greatly.

If you are running 4.5, then I'm stumped.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack