Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 18:59:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil (Craig Huckabee)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdist on local machine

>   Configuration:

>   One FreeBSD 2.1 RELEASE server running a web server for 3 virtual hosts.
>   I've bound each host's IP address to my network card using 'ifconfig alias'.
>   Problem:
>   One of the 3 virtual hosts used to be on a seperate machine.  It was used
>   as a development server, so Web pages could be built and tested before
>   being moved to a 'live' public server.  I used scripts that used 'rdist'
>   to move files from a staging area to the 'live' server.
>   I've consolidated all of the Web services onto one master server, using
>   'virtual hosts' for everything.
>
>   Now I can't get 'rdist' to work with the virtual hosts.  For example :
>   The machine's name is mispwoso, one virtual hostname is products.
>   mispwoso> rdist -Ryc /u0/stage_area/ products:/u0/products/
>   This fails with a 'rcmd : Unrecognized error : 0'
>
>   Is there a way to make rdist work or is there an easy way to get the
>   same functionality from some other combination of tools?
>   Am I missing something obvious here?

		Why not just use 'find | xargs cp' or the old
		'tar cf - ./* | (cd $target && tar xpf -)' construct

			(I'm sure that some sort of switches could
			be added to that to make it "incremental")

	If the files are just being moved/copied to new locations
	on the local hard disks (or even across NFS) it seems like
	rdist is overkill.

>   Any help is appreciated,

	What happens if you try to "rlogin" to the other virtual
	host(s)?  What about "rsh $vhost 'which rdist'" (can you
	rsh, and can your rsh environment "see" the copy of
	rdist)?  What does your distfile look like?

		(I use rdist from my internal host to my ftphosts and
		will be adding my webhost(s) to the mix pretty soon
		However I suggest that you consider running it
		through 'ssh' rather than 'rsh')