Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 17:14:11 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS pause in 3.1-STABLE

We had one of our machines "pause" earlier today.  The machine is running
3.1-STABLE from March 26.

The machine was running fine for 4+ days (has been very stable), when
it stoped respondning.  It would still answer pings, and new connects
would be accept()ed, but apparently never passed onto the process.  Existing
processes all hung (I had a number of ssh X connections going through the
machine, and with no additional disk accesses they all stoped.).  From
prior experience when this happens, it will eventually recover (anywhere
from 45 minuts to hours).  We were able to do a tcpdump on the network, and
wathced the traffic.  What we saw was repeated NFS lookups (with a reply
from the server), and then get_attr requests.  This was not a spam condition,
the requests were only 3 or 3 per second.  We identified which file it was
asking for and moved it arround until it generated a STALE_NFS error.  After
that we placed a same named file back and the next lookup found it.  Still
the machine would not respond.

The machine would also not respond to its serial console.  Hitting return
where a login prompt should have been produced no echo or other response.

Any ideas what causes this?  It is much rarer than the other, extinct,
problems with NFS/TCP and KVA, but still annoying.

--
David Cross