Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:42:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
To:        System Administrator <root@mail.blink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> Help  I am trying to install free bsd
> on my computer but have run into some problems.
> I get everything installed ok except I cant
> seem to get the partition info right.
> it either comes up and does nothing,
> or, it says no operating system or
> if I choose to use the boot manager, it
> pops up and does nothing.  in the installation,
> what should the setting for the bootable partition be?

You should send this to questions@freebsd.org
you will get quick responses from there (usually)

On your boot drive you need to have / or you need to build your kernal
special.
my part info
/ 48M
swap 128M
/var 48M
/usr allelse(1700M)

one drive with a 100meg dos partition in front.
FreeBSD could not get the geometry right for the drive without the
100meg dos partition because I didn't turn off stuff in my adaptec
bios. (someone told me this I cannot verify)

100meg dos is a primary active partition.
1900med fbsd is bootable.  booteasy was installed.  works fine.