Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:45:51 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems starting X on Mac using vesa, radeon or intel drivers when running FreeBSD-CURRENT in EFI

--aILGmLbHflhN8V8M11Pbvuo6UIs0qKtGp

On 20.07.2014 18:19, Anders Bolt-Evensen wrote:
> Hello, everyone!

Hi!

> When I try to use the radeon driver, X exits because of BIOS errors
> (since I do not use BIOS when in EFI mode), as can be seen from the
> output of "dmesg -a" from a verbose boot (at the time dmesg -a was run,=

> I had commented out the line with the intel driver to force it to use
> the radeon driver instead, since the intel driver caused the screen to
> freeze).

I can't comment on the Intel driver behavior, but I never tested the
Radeon driver with UEFI yet. The BIOS errors you see mean that the
driver failed to locate the Video BIOS. There no relation with the
System BIOS or, in your case, UEFI.

> info: [drm] radeon_acpi_vfct_bios: =3D=3D=3D> Try VFCT...
> info: [drm] radeon_acpi_vfct_bios: Get "VFCT" ACPI table
> info: [drm] radeon_acpi_vfct_bios: Failed to get "VFCT" table: AE_NOT_F=
OUND

Those calls to get the "VFCT" ACPI table should succeed in an UEFI
context. But as I said, this was never tested.

> error: [drm:pid1363:radeon_get_bios] *ERROR* Unable to locate a BIOS RO=
> drmn0: error: Fatal error during GPU init
> info: [drm] radeon: finishing device.
> [TTM] Memory type 2 has not been initialized
> device_attach: drmn0 attach returned 22

And here, without the Video BIOS, the driver misses too much information
and abort the initialization of the card.

I currently have no suggestion to make to debug and fix this situation.
I need to study a bit what should be going on before. My laptop, which
has UEFI available, doesn't boot FreeBSD for now (it fails to probe the
system memory).

I'll get back to you as soon as I can work on this.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron