Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:22:44 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov
Cc:        Cindy.Tran@grc.nasa.gov, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark.Allman@grc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Problem in High Speed and Long Delay with FreeBSD

> Your suggestion of increasing the -l seems to have made a positive
> impact -- tests this morning with a higher buffer length size of 8192
> gave us a better throughput of 44Mbps.  Now the time sequence plot
> shows a window usage of 1.5MB as opposed to the previous 1MB usage.
>
> We still don't understand as to why we are not getting a larger
> window usage when we are requesting a 3MB socket buffer. (BTW,
> a typo in my example testing commands, left out a "0" in the
> "-b".)

Since *something* is making a difference, you may wish to try
changing one independent parameter at a time.  For instance,
do you get different throughput numbers with -l = 16k, 32k,
and so on?  What is the limit?  You will want to decrease the
-n parameter correspondingly so as to not keep waiting longer
and longer!

Similarly try changing other limits one at a time.

If you can, try to use the *same* non-FreeBSD machine at one
end and characterize send and recv performance of FreeBSD
separately.  This ought to help you figure out where the
bottleneck may be.